If you’ve had a Garmin chartplotter installed by Tidewater Yacht Service, you know how beneficial the technology can be. Having the right tools at hand for proper marine navigation isn’t just a luxury, it’s a necessity. Nevertheless, many of us are on a constant lookout for ways to improve how we take advantage of our boat and that means making navigation even more accessible and easy to use. Pairing your Garmin chartplotter with ActiveCaptain allows you to access all the knowledge you need from mobile devices like tablets or your smartphone.
Prepwork for Pairing
To pair with the ActiveCaptain app, you must first ensure that your software on your Garmin device is fully up to date. Current software can be downloaded from www.garmin.com or stop by the yard for a FREE software update performed by our Garmin Certified Techs. Lastly, download the ActiveCaptain app on whatever device you want to use it on.
The Pairing Process
To pair your device, follow these steps:
- Power your Garmin device on and select Settings.
- Select Communications.
- Select Wi-Fi Network. This enables your device to create a Wi-Fi network for your device to pair with. Make sure you name your network and then select done.
- Create a password you will remember. Write it down somewhere safe and select done.
- Return to the home screen and select ActiveCaptain. If you have a GPSMAP unit, this is under A/V, Gauges, Controls.
- Select “Connect to Chartplotter” within the ActiveCaptain app and connect to your network that you set up earlier, using the password you came up with. Select Continue.
- Follow the prompts and fill out the correct information. Remember that associating maps with an owner cannot be undone so be sure to properly address the prompts.
- If prompted, create an ActiveCaptain SD card. Select Set ActiveCaptain Card. Then, Select Card. Select the proper card and it will create your ActiveCaptain card.
- You’re all set! You can now take advantage of the ActiveCaptain application.
Why Utilize ActiveCaptain?
The all-in-one ActiveCaptain mobile app completely changes your marine experience. It offers a simple user interface that allows you to connect with your charts, maps, and the boating community as a whole in new, easy ways, all at the touch of your fingertips. For a detailed walkthrough of how to set up your device, take a look at this video.
Reach Out to Tidewater Today!
If you’re in the greater Baltimore area and are in need of boat services, contact Tidewater Yacht Service at 410-625-4992 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our location is at 321 East Cromwell Street Baltimore, MD 21230. Get in touch with us today! Whether you need hauling, systems repaired, or storage, we have the experience and expertise to help. We’ve been providing our services to the Chesapeake Bay for over 30 years and know how to properly handle your vessel with care.